Networker

Re: [Networker] User file deletions between incrementals

2009-10-28 18:11:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] User file deletions between incrementals
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:08:18 +1100
On 29/10/2009, at 08:59 , George Sinclair wrote:

HORWITZ, STANLEY R. wrote:
On 10 28, 2009, at 4:45 PM, Andi Weiderpass wrote:
Does anyone now how or if Networker tracks file deletions between
incrementals?

I have Networker clients installed on several Windows servers and I have incrementals scheduled during the weekdays and fulls on the weekends. Let's say a user deletes a file (intentionally) on a Tuesday and I have a system crash on Friday. To recover, I'll need to start with the full from the previous weekend which will restore the deleted file. As I continure to recover from the incrementals will the file be removed, at some point,
before I am all done?
Intentionally deleted files will be recovered. In fact, you could conceivably restore more data then your client has capacity to hold if just prior to the system crash, its disk was close to its capacity and someone intentionally deleted some files and created some other files. I am referring to standard files, not databases. I am not sure what happens with a database, but I suspect a similar situation would occur.

Hmm ... I was always under the impression that this was not the case, at least not with a browsable recover. I thought the whole point of a browse recover was that NW was supposed to be able to rebuild the directory, or file system, exactly the way it last appeared, so it ought to remove deleted files since the deletion of files gets updated in the client index, assuming, of course, that they were ever backed up. You can see this when you change browse times from the client. If the file was backed up today, and tomorrow it's deleted then the running nwrecover after the next backup should show that it's gone, but browsing back to the day before should show it there.

In a few versions of NetWorker, it could potentially recover more data than there was space available by recovering files deleted before the most recent backup. This was always considered a bug.

NetWorker's designed behaviour has always been that if you:

Backup Monday
Delete files on Tuesday
Backup Tuesday Night

Then a recovery from Tuesday's backup will _not_ include the files deleted on Tuesday. This is what changeable browse times are for. If you want to recover the files deleted on Tuesday, you instead need to change your browse time to Monday.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com