Networker

Re: [Networker] More NMC questions

2009-10-24 22:22:32
Subject: Re: [Networker] More NMC questions
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 21:15:42 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] More NMC questions, John Terran said (at...:

Hi Tim,

I read your service request.

Thanks for taking a look at it John!

I think on 7.4x the password was not encrypted over the wire, but in 7.5, I
think they made some improvements in this area.

That would be a step in the right direction, so I hope that's true.  I'm
guessing an improvement like that would be documented in the release
notes, so I'll take a swing through the notes for 7.5.x.

I am pretty sure NMC encrypts the password between NMC client and NMC server
in 7.5.
NMC also encrypts the password field on the client resource too from NMC to
NetWorker server.
Probably anything to do with password
Didn't see the passwords with a sniffer.

As for http or https on the browser pointing to NMC server,
I don't think affects whether or not NMC sends data encrypted.
NMC is a webstart application, so the web server is only used help user
download NMC client jar files.
All the communication between NMC client and NMC server (gstd process) use a
different socket connection.

Understood, and I tried to make that point in the ticket I filed, though
I don't think I did a very good job.  It's not the initial URL connection
I'm concerned about, it's the actual communication between the client and
the NMC server that I was concerned about.

Thanks for taking a look at the ticket.

Tim