Networker

[Networker] How to disaster recover a Windows Active Directory?

2009-10-22 18:31:18
Subject: [Networker] How to disaster recover a Windows Active Directory?
From: brerrabbit <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 18:27:06 -0400
MIchael Leone wrote:
> I'm looking through the NW Disaster Recovery guide, and it speaks of how
> to do a Windows ASR (Automatic System Recovery) - basically, install
> Winowd, and do a restore of the "System State"; that will put Windows
> completely back to the way it was at the time of the backup. And I've even
> done that once before, and it worked well.
>
> But what about an Active Directory restore? Doing a restore of the AD
> domain (authoratative or non-authoratative) is a bit more serious than
> just restoring a Windows member server back to a previous state, so you
> have all files and installed programs and settings.
>
> I'm not seeing anything in the NW Disaster Recovery guide that seems to
> speak about that.  But maybe my guide is out of date, since it is for NW
> 7.3.2. Is there something more recent? Or something geared more
> specifically toward Windows AD domains?
>
> Has anyone done an AD restore using NetWorker? Eespecially an
> authoratative restore. All the examples I am finding speak of using
> NTBACKUP to backup and restore AD. A link or a recounting of your
> experiences would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Michael Leone
> Network Administrator, ISM
> Philadelphia Housing Authority
> 2500 Jackson St
> Philadelphia, PA 19145
> Tel:  215-684-4180
> Cell: 215-252-0143
> <mailto:michael.leone < at > pha.phila.gov>

Michael, I think you're looking in the wrong book, try the Admin Guide instead
of the DR Guide.  In the 7.4.x Admin Guide, there's a 3-page section in
Appendix D that discusses doing authoritative and non-authoritative  restores
of AD.  I'm 95% sure it's in the 7.3 Guide too, but the steps are really NW
version independent.

I've done them in test environments without a problem (then again, everything
always works in test  [Rolling Eyes] ), never done it myself in a live
environment, but I've been tertiarily involved at a 3000 user site where we had
to do one, and it went fine.  I'd recommend opening a ticket with both EMC and
MS beforehand if that's feasible.

HTH
--brerrabbit