Networker

[Networker] How to disaster recover a Windows Active Directory?

2009-10-21 12:08:38
Subject: [Networker] How to disaster recover a Windows Active Directory?
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:03:46 -0400
I'm looking through the NW Disaster Recovery guide, and it speaks of how
to do a Windows ASR (Automatic System Recovery) - basically, install
Winowd, and do a restore of the "System State"; that will put Windows
completely back to the way it was at the time of the backup. And I've even
done that once before, and it worked well.

But what about an Active Directory restore? Doing a restore of the AD
domain (authoratative or non-authoratative) is a bit more serious than
just restoring a Windows member server back to a previous state, so you
have all files and installed programs and settings.

I'm not seeing anything in the NW Disaster Recovery guide that seems to
speak about that.  But maybe my guide is out of date, since it is for NW
7.3.2. Is there something more recent? Or something geared more
specifically toward Windows AD domains?

Has anyone done an AD restore using NetWorker? Eespecially an
authoratative restore. All the examples I am finding speak of using
NTBACKUP to backup and restore AD. A link or a recounting of your
experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM