Networker

Re: [Networker] More NMC questions

2009-10-20 11:13:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] More NMC questions
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:06:12 -0400
Tim Mooney wrote:
In regard to: [Networker] More NMC questions, George Sinclair said (at...:

1. OK, I'm confused here over client versus server. Where they say: "...
there is a prompt to download the JRE ...", where is the download
location referring to? And should I download it?

They're saying that when you connect up to the URL that gets you access to
your NMC, via a browser running on your desktop workstation, if you don't
have a JRE installed you will probably be prompted to download one.

Thanks for your responses, Tim!!! This clear up a lot of confusion :).

I have two additional question regarding the console server. I'm ignorant of JRE, but from what I can gather, this all assumes that a web server is running on the console server, correct?

Question 1. In other words, the client machine must have JRE, but it must also be able to connect to a web server, running on the console server, which also has JRE?

Currently, there is no web server running on the test machine, but there is a /etc/init.d/httpd, and there is a firefox binary. From page 95 of the installation guide it says:

"10. Specify a User/Group with limited privileges that NMC will use to run the web server..."

"11. For the web server port number, use the default port number (9000) or use a custom port number ..."

Question 2. From that language, I assume that a web server must be running on the console server. Does the installation of the console server install the web server itself? Or does it assume that you already have a web server on that machine? If so, does it launch it, or do you have to already have it running?

Thanks.

George

You can avoid this by making certain that any desktop workstations that
need to be able to access NMC and fire up NetWorker Administrator already
have the necessary JRE installed.

NMC uses Java Web Start (javaws) to run a Java Network Launch Protocol
(.jnlp) file.  The executable is downloaded and cached on your
workstation.

From the installation guide (page 39): "Although the Console client does not need to be installed separately, the JRE which includes Java Web Start must be installed in order to download and run the program properly. When connecting to the Console server for the first time, there is a prompt to download the JRE and the Console client application."

You only get prompted to download the JRE if your browser doesn't know
what to do with jnlp files.  If you have the JRE installed and your
browser has the right mime associations set up, javaws (Java Web Start)
should launch automatically.

You will *not* be prompted to download the console application: that will
just happen.  Java web start downloads and caches the application
automatically.

2. Apparently, from what I've seen in poking around the archives, there's a stupid default password it assigns, so I have to set some environment
variable and restart NMC in order to have it prompt me for a real
password. That right?!

We had to do that to reset the password once (possibly after an upgrade),
but I don't think that we did that initially.  I'm pretty foggy on those
details though.  It could very well be the way that you have to reset the
default administrator password.

However, you can create additional accounts, so you don't need to use the
administrator account to do everything.

3. How does NetWorker protect this password? Is it similar to standard Unix password encryption?

I don't know the answer to that.

4. What command do I run to launch the NMC once it's installed?

You have two options.

- The first time you run it and the recommended way is to point your
  browser at the appropriate URL.  It's probably going to be something
  like

    http://your.networker.server:9000/

  Unless you used a different port from the default.  You can find what
  port you used by looking in /opt/lgtonmc/etc/gstd.conf

  If your browser on your workstation knows what to do with a jnlp file,
  it will download the java-based application and launch it, via javaws
  (Java Web Start).

- Your other option is to actually save the .jnlp file that gets
  downloaded and then just launch that whenever you want to run NMC.
  That's what I do these days.

5. Can you have more than one console server?

Yes, but they don't share data.

Under 7.2.x, I could simply run nwadmin from any machine and at least monitor things (read-only), and then assuming that that machine and user where in the admin list, I could also make changes and/or perform operations. Ok, so do I now have to install NMC on every machine that I want to be able to monitor something from, or can I somehow install just the console client on those hosts?

NMC isn't something you install on clients.  You install it on a server,
and then connect to a URL with a browser and the bits you need are
automatically downloaded and launched if you have the appropriate java
bits on the workstation/client.

If you need to do simple monitoring, I would recommend you just connect to
your NetWorker server or log in to any UNIX or Linux client and run
nsrwatch.

Tim

--
George Sinclair