Networker

[Networker] More NMC questions

2009-10-19 17:35:36
Subject: [Networker] More NMC questions
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:28:58 -0400
Several last minute questions before installing this goofy NMC package on a RHEL Linux 5 server. I'm coming from the old nwadmin world so this is all new. I've already installed the client, server and snode software ver. 7.5SP1 on this new server:

# rpm -qa | grep lgto
lgtoman-7.5.1-1
lgtoclnt-7.5.1-1
lgtoserv-7.5.1-1
lgtonode-7.5.1-1

and I have a dedicated user/group (with limited privileges) for the NMC.

1. OK, I'm confused here over client versus server. Where they say: "... there is a prompt to download the JRE ...", where is the download location referring to? And should I download it?

From the installation guide (page 39): "Although the Console client does not need to be installed separately, the JRE which includes Java Web Start must be installed in order to download and run the program properly. When connecting to the Console server for the first time, there is a prompt to download the JRE and the Console client application."

2. Apparently, from what I've seen in poking around the archives, there's a stupid default password it assigns, so I have to set some environment variable and restart NMC in order to have it prompt me for a real password. That right?!

3. How does NetWorker protect this password? Is it similar to standard Unix password encryption?

4. What command do I run to launch the NMC once it's installed?

5. Can you have more than one console server?

Under 7.2.x, I could simply run nwadmin from any machine and at least monitor things (read-only), and then assuming that that machine and user where in the admin list, I could also make changes and/or perform operations. Ok, so do I now have to install NMC on every machine that I want to be able to monitor something from, or can I somehow install just the console client on those hosts?

What about the admin and user programs on Windows (can't recall what the nwadmin program is called on Windows) that we used under 7.2.x? Does all that need to be replaced with NMC also? We have several Windows boxes that might need to be able to monitor the server, but they would not be making any configuration changes or carrying out nay operations. I'm unclear if just the NMC client would be installed and if so, how?

Thanks.

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210