Networker

[Networker] VSS SYSTEM FILESET -- a warning!

2009-10-19 14:37:00
Subject: [Networker] VSS SYSTEM FILESET -- a warning!
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 14:31:32 -0400
I have recently discovered that NetWorker 7.4 converts an incremental into a skip if the VSS SYSTEM FILESET: saveset has not changed since the last time it was backed up. I recently tried to perform an ASR of a Windows 2003 system that was close to that three month browse time and found (to my horror) that there was no VSS SYSTEM FILESET: to be recovered -- which left me with a failed ASR!

What had happened was that we took a FULL on June 28, and then the next time the daily incremental and weekly level 3 backups made a backup of VSS SYSTEM FILESET: was on July 16. As I was trying to do the ASR on September 30 from July 10 -- the June 28 VSS SYSTEM FILESET: had been purged from the index, leaving me with a window that was supposed to be browsable and was not recoverable.

It is not clear to me (I haven't had time to test) if the same issue exists in 7.5.1, but it was certainly in 7.4.4 (and likely in 7.4.5). I've got an escalation going with EMC on it and it should get fixed -- once they decide on how to fix it.

However, I want you other administrators to be aware of it and be prepared to possibly have to run scanner to get your full browse window back.