Networker

Re: [Networker] User/Group for NMC?

2009-10-19 08:09:08
Subject: Re: [Networker] User/Group for NMC?
From: "Clark, Patti" <clarkp AT OSTI DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2009 08:03:45 -0400
Typically, if one is running an apache web server, the user "apache" is created
and runs the web server.  In this case, they are recommending nobody:nobody.
Personally, I wouldn't use this suggestion.  I'd create a user/group
specifically for running the web service.  Then you "know" what that account
can and cannot do at all times.

I don't recall if this recommendation was made when NMC was first released.  I
know I'm using defaults myself.  Having said that, I will most likely look into
changing the situation.

Patti Clark
Sr. Linux System Administrator
DOE/OSTI