Networker

Re: [Networker] 64-bit versus 32-bit NW?

2009-10-16 15:21:14
Subject: Re: [Networker] 64-bit versus 32-bit NW?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 14:15:09 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] 64-bit versus 32-bit NW?, George Sinclair said...:

Hi,

We're running 64-bit RH Linux on what will be the primary backup server. Should we install the 64-bit version of NW or 32-bit version?

It seemed like a no-brainer to install the 64-bit version, but thought
I'd ask as I see this in the install notes for NMC:

"Note: 64-bit versions of NetWorker require the 32-bit JRE"

I believe that's only for some of the "wizards" (which I have 0 experience
with, so I can't comment on them) and the NMC.

1. Would there be any reason not to install the NW 64-bit version?

Sure.  In the past, the release notes have advised against using the 64
bit NetWorker server software on Linux.  There have been a number of posts
on this list in the last year about the same topic.  Do an archives search
for more info.

Whether any of those reasons still apply to NW 7.5.1, I don't know.

Tim
edu