Networker

Re: [Networker] Question regarding scanner

2009-10-15 12:07:48
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question regarding scanner
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 16:03:47 +0000
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 04:00:25PM +0200, Thorsten Linow wrote:
> Therefor I load the volume Nr. one with nomount-option, set the networker
> device to disable and perform a
>
> scanner -S [ssid] /dev/rmt/13cbn | uasm -rv

This command streams the data off the tape (assuming the ssid is
present) and has uasm write the data into the current directory.  It
doesn't update the catalog.

> configuration done at nsrserver of Zone "b":
> - The original client was "host_a" in datazone  "a". This client is created
> now also in Networker-config of Zone "b" 's
>   Networker Server.
> - The goal is to perform a restore of the ssid to "storagenode_b" (by it's
> name it is a Storagenode in Datazone "b")
> - Inside networker Server in Zone "b",
> root@storagenode_b<mailto:root@storagenode_b> is on "host_a" 's remote
> access-list
> - also storagenode_b is declared as recovery storagenode for "host_a"

Almost none of that matters because you're not doing a "restore".
Scanner/uasm kind of go around the normal restore process.

> Question:
> Is the mentioned scanner-command usefull for this job? It should
> prevent me for do the complete scanning of 13 Tapes before recovering.

True.  But you either have to give the exact pathnames you want restored
(and be *very* confident you're not making any mistakes), or you have to
restore all the data in the saveset up to the point where your data
exists.  If you don't have a lot of local storage, this may be a
burden.

> What happends if tape one is recovered completely, will it prompt for
> changing the tape?

Yes, scanner will notify you when the tape ends.  It will prompt for
another device to open (which can be the same one if you swap the
tapes).

Have you checked with nsrinfo to understand how far into the saveset the
data you're interested in lies?

--
Darren