Networker

[Networker] VTL, Cloning & Retention Policy Question

2009-10-13 15:48:24
Subject: [Networker] VTL, Cloning & Retention Policy Question
From: bbartick <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:54:37 -0400
Hi!

I have a basic VTL/Cloning question. We are currently using Networker 7.4.5 and
are just in the process of deploying a VTL solution. What I am looking to do is
fairly standard:

1. Backup to the VTL
2. Clone from VTL to our tape Silo

Here is where I'm confused. Let's say we have a group with a:
browse policy of (6) months
retention policy of (6) years

When I save to the clone both my virtual and physical tapes will now have the
same browse and retention policy. But, I want to recycle virtual tapes after
say (3) months so that my VTL doesn't fill up. What would be the best why to
implement this?
Do I just script it out with mminfo and nsrmm? Will I be able to delete the
virtual tape and still keep my (6) month browse and (6) year retention policy
on my clone?

Regards,

Brett