Networker

[Networker] VTL, Cloning & Retention Policy Question

2009-10-13 13:00:45
Subject: [Networker] VTL, Cloning & Retention Policy Question
From: dmitri <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 12:56:13 -0400
bbartick wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have a basic VTL/Cloning question. We are currently using Networker 7.4.5
> and are just in the process of deploying a VTL solution. What I am looking to
> do is fairly standard:
>
> 1. Backup to the VTL
> 2. Clone from VTL to our tape Silo
>
> Here is where I'm confused. Let's say we have a group with a:
> browse policy of (6) months
> retention policy of (6) years
>
> When I save to the clone both my virtual and physical tapes will now have the
> same browse and retention policy. But, I want to recycle virtual tapes after
> say (3) months so that my VTL doesn't fill up. What would be the best why to
> implement this?
> Do I just script it out with mminfo and nsrmm? Will I be able to delete the
> virtual tape and still keep my (6) month browse and (6) year retention policy
> on my clone?
>
> Regards,
>
> Brett

7.4.X allows different retention policies for source and cloned data, therefore
you'll be able to recycle your virtual tapes in their due time, independently
from clone.  Keep in mind that "volretent" will show your source tapes'
expiration as equal to the clones', however source tapes do expire according to
client retention policy.
We write to VTL, and then clone to physical tape using custom scripts, based on
mminfo and nsrclone.  Don't recycle tapes manually, let NW manage them.