Networker

[Networker] Configuring Networker in a cluster environment

2009-10-13 09:05:30
Subject: [Networker] Configuring Networker in a cluster environment
From: Guzzi <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 09:01:11 -0400
Hi Conrad, thanks for you reply.

You understood correctly in the sense that "failing over" is not a problem,
both on server side and on client side.

I use Veritas Cluster because I must protect application, not necessarily
backup services, from a single point of failure.

I know there is no compatibility between Networker 7.2.2 and Veritas Cluster
5.0 (I've seen it on EMC sw compatibility guide) so, in other words, I would
avoid any not-supported configuration.

So my real question is this:

I must use Veritas Cluster 5.0 to configure an highly-available application
I can only use Networker 7.2.2 on HP-UX/Itanium to backup an highly-available
application data, I cannot upgrade networker for cost reasons.
Because "failing over" backup service is not an issue, can I configure a
networker client as a standalone client in order to backup an highly-available
application? Of course I'm conscious that backup is not guaranteed in case of
application failover but this is not an issue.

Is it a certified configuration so I can obtain EMC support if any problems
will occur?

Thank you, Fabio