Networker

Re: [Networker] Installing NMC on Linux?

2009-10-07 16:21:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Installing NMC on Linux?
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 15:11:51 -0500
In regard to: [Networker] Installing NMC on Linux?, George Sinclair said...:

Hi,

Several questions on installation of the NetWorker Management Console software on Linux. We have the required JRE, so we'll be starting with step 6 in the guide. This will be installed on the primary backup server, and I'd like to put it under /nsr/lgtonmc

QUESTION 1. I assume this can be installed last, after the client, storage node and server software has been installed, correct?

Yes.

From the 7.5 Installation guide (Linux installation section):

6. Start the NetWorker daemons, if not already started. ?Task 3: Start the
NetWorker daemons?

7. To install the NetWorker Console software, type:
rpm -ivh lgtonmc-7.5.x86.rpm

By default, the software is installed in /opt.

What this means is that unless you take some extra action, running that
rpm command is going to put everything under /opt.  If you don't have an
/opt partition and don't want /opt to be a directory in the root volume,
consider symlinking /opt to somewhere else.  It's not the prettiest
option, but in the face of a package that's quite possibly going to burn
you down the road if you don't do things the way it wants, it's probably
the best compromise.

8. (Optional) To install the man pages and the appropriate language >>
support packages, type the commands in Table 30 on page 95.

9. Run this configuration script to install the lgtonmc package in the
/opt/lgtonmc directory:
/opt/lgtonmc/bin/nmc_config

QUESTION 2. We don't have an /opt partition, but we can create one. Is this where it should go, or is there another place that will do? How do we tell it to install it somewhere else? Do we need to edit the config script?

No, you would need to use relocation options within rpm.  I don't
recommend you do this.

QUESTION 3. I'm confused over the difference between steps 7 and 9? Do we still need to run the script in step 9 above? If so, how do we tell it to put it under some other directory like, for example, /nsr/lgtonmc

You don't.  By the time the rpm command finishes and there's an nmc_config
command somewhere on your filesystem, it's too late to choose where the
software is going to go.

nmc_config is for post-install setup.  It's required when you first
install NMC.

QUESTION 4: At what point do we specify these values and how do we do this? Will it prompt us, or do we edit the config script?

It should prompt you.

13. Specify the directory to use for the lgtonmc database (for example,
/export/home/lgto_gstdb).

QUESTION 5: How do we specify this? Should this be a different directory than what we provide in step 9, say, for example, /nsr/lgtogstdb instead of /nsr/lgtonmc?

It depends on how much of a stickler you are for sticking to the
filesystem standards for the platform you're installing on.  For example,
for years it was possible to mount the /usr partition on Solaris
read-only, because all software was forbidden from installing anything
that would change (like database files, or config files) in /usr.

I don't know that it's ever been possible to do that on Linux, but there
are still Linux standards about what goes where and whether it's ok to
have a database in a particular partition.

Normally I am a stickler for these types of standards.  However, with NMC,
I think it might just be better to let it go where it wants, rather than
fighting the good fight and trying to make it behave the way you want it
to.

I read an interesting article or blog post a couple years ago that
basically said that with most software, if you don't accept the defaults,
you're just asking for trouble down the road anyway.  I wish I could find
the reference, as there's at least some truth to what the author was
claiming.  I think NMC is one of those packages where you'll have a
happier life if you don't fight it.

Tim
edu