Networker

Re: [Networker] Console server question

2009-10-06 16:56:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] Console server question
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 07:52:36 +1100
Hi George,

On 07/10/2009, at 07:35 , George Sinclair wrote:

New to 7.5SP1 Linux, coming from 7.2.2 Solaris, so this whole Console server stuff is new and confusing to me.

1. Should the Console server be installed on a different host other than the primary backup server or one of the snodes?

It's entirely an architectural decision. For single server sites, it's usually of most use sitting on the backup server itself.

If so, will we need anything other than the client software on that host?

No.

2. In reading through the installation guide, I got kinda lost in the whole section on Console database size? Wasn't really clear what the heck they're talking about. Seems so compartmentalized. Is this the same thing as the traditional media database? Or are they only referring to what you're trying to report from the media database? Maybe I'm confusing that with mminfo?

I'm trying to determine how much space to allocate for this? because they make it reasonably apparent this this is important. Our current media database is about 330 MB.

The console maintains its own database tracking historical details from the time it is installed to the present day - i.e., beyond the scope of the media database, which ceases to report about backups once they have been recycled. It doesn't store *all* the same details though - more just summary data, so it doesn't grow as fast as the media database.

I don't think the size of the NMC database will grow so quickly that sizing a location will be a major required step. For instance, a lot of my customers leave the NMC database in the / partition without any concern as to growth of the database. (While it's not something I overly recommend, I can't argue with the logic that if it grows really slowly they can't see a point in creating a separate partition.) Another option is to have the database stored in the /nsr region on the backup server - e.g., you'll find a lot of sites out there with a directory structure of /nsr/lgtonmc, etc.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com