Networker

Re: [Networker] atimeasm and ZFS

2009-09-17 02:14:58
Subject: Re: [Networker] atimeasm and ZFS
From: Nick Tan <nick AT WEHI.EDU DOT AU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 16:09:41 +1000
stes AT telenet DOT be wrote:
Nick,

I haven't tried this, but on OpenSolaris there is a property that relates to
this at the ZFS level:

# uname -a
SunOS gecko 5.11 snv_111b i86pc i386 i86pc

# zfs get all u/newt | grep atime
u/newt  atime                 on                     default

What is the result of the "zfs get all | grep atime" in your case ?

What happens if you zfs set atime=off ?

By the way, NetWorker 7.5.1 works on OpenSolaris if you use the OpenSSL
libraries from Solaris 10, but this is not officially supported;

which version of Solaris do you use? Is it 10U7 ? I think the atime= property
is there as well.

David.

Hi David,

I have atime set to on. I want to keep access times enabled, but I just don't want Networker updating them.

We are looking at moving to a tiered storage system with policies in place to move files based on access and modification times. Access time policies won't work if Networker updates the atime on every backup. I was hoping that the atimeasm directive would work with ZFS but unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the case.

Thanks,

Nick

--
Nick Tan