Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker + Novell SuSE + NSS ?

2009-08-28 16:39:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker + Novell SuSE + NSS ?
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 06:35:59 +1000
On 29/08/2009, at 01:22 , Len Philpot wrote:

I'm not a Novell guy, but since I backup Netware clients this is relevant to me. One of our CNEs asked if Networker supports NSS (I'm told this is a Novell filesystem) on SuSE Linux. We're still using NLM-based Netware at the moment (on NSS, so it obviously works there), but we don't know about
SuSE.

Any experience with it?

It is supported - check the software compatibility guide. There are some caveats - I believe, for instance, that the way that NSS stores permissions attributes in a consolidated xml file in the root of the filesystem means that NetWorker will recover the file(s) but not the permissions ... there's a Novell support article about a third party app that can be used to backup & restore file permissions on Linux however. (I could be out of date on this one, I've only done a cursory search.)

FWIW, we also have an open escalation with EMC which is being actively worked on to bring recovery support into NetWorker on OES for NetWare backups, on the basis that companies that migrate from NetWare to OES will want to be able to recover their old files onto their new machines.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com