Networker

Re: [Networker] Make Expired Volumes Browseable

2009-08-27 06:45:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Make Expired Volumes Browseable
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:37:10 +0100
Gold, Evan wrote:
> But indexes on seperate tapes wastes a lot of tapes. Indexes are tiny so I
> ended up sending mostly empty tapes offsite.

It only wastes tape if you send them away before they are full. There is
a debate to be had here about whether it is better to send them away
immediately or wait until they are full, and that depends on many
factors, such as the size of your environment and type of media used.
There is nothing to stop you retrieving some tapes and staging them to
use media more effectively, if you think that is worth the bother, but
tapes are cheap compared to the cost of someone's time to mess about
with this stuff, and compared to the value of the data on them.