Networker

Re: [Networker] reading, moving forward # file(s)

2009-08-20 15:34:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] reading, moving forward # file(s)
From: "Goslin, Paul" <pgoslin AT CINCOM DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 15:28:05 -0400
The lack of barcodes on the tapes explains why Networker must put the
tape in a drive and read the label so it knows which tape it is...
Without the barcode, it has no other way to ID the tape....
With barcodes, it recognizes the tape by its barcode because it knows
which tapes have which barcodes as this is part of the media database
record for every tape volume.

You're approaching restores in an odd way IMHO... We always invoke
nwrecover on a Unix client or Networker User program on Windows
machines... Select the date we want to restore from, then find the file
to be restored and mark it... Then we check the tape(s) needed via
View/Required volumes and load those if they are not in the library...
Of course you can only browse back to what is currently in the index for
that client... Which is controlled by your browse policy limit...
Indexes can use lots of disk space if your browse policies are longer
and the client has lots of files...