Networker

[Networker] Deleting an AFTD Storage node device

2009-08-20 09:20:39
Subject: [Networker] Deleting an AFTD Storage node device
From: MIchael Leone <Michael.Leone AT PHA.PHILA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 09:15:34 -0400
NW 7.4.2, Win2003 (server and storage nodes)

I have 3 storage nodes, which use AFTD devices (in our case, disk space on
our SAN). We're re-configuring our SAN (moving the disks that make up that
disk pool to another SAN). So I will be un-presenting disk space to those
storage nodes (i.e., remove the disks that Networker writes to).  Once we
finish moving disks, we'll re-present them, and those clients can go back
to being storage nodes.

Here's what I am planning to do:

-Change the group definitions - uncheck the "CLONE" option. This will make
backup jobs go direct to tape
-Delete the device definitions of these 3 storage nodes, so NW doesn't try
to auto-mount them at start up

That should (effectively) turn these 3 into regular clients. When we're
done moving disks, and re-leveling the SAN, I can present the disks to the
clients; re-add the devices in NetWorker; set the groups back to "CLONE"
status.

That should accomplish what I want, without having to uninstall/re-install
anything on the clients themselves, or change anything on the client
definition in NetWorker.

Thoughts? Have I missed something, or misunderstood something? The fact
that the clients have been installed as storage nodes, but aren't actually
storing anything (they won't see any disk space from the SAN), shouldn't
matter, as long as NetWorker doesn't try to actually write to these nodes.
Yes?

--
Michael Leone
Network Administrator, ISM