Networker

Re: [Networker] The problem of the hung savegroups

2009-07-22 12:12:18
Subject: Re: [Networker] The problem of the hung savegroups
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 11:07:05 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] The problem of the hung savegroups, Clark,...:

What does -D9 provide?  Debug?

I've been seeing hung save groups every so often on both of my networker
systems, one is very small.  This is NOT a DNS problem.  My small system
is very static - no network changes nor client changes in months.  My
scheduled backups will run flawlessly for weeks, then one night one
group will hang.  This is NOT a resource issue.  The group consists of 7
clients.

We're seeing similar issues, but our hangs didn't start until we moved to
7.4.4.4 (from 7.4.2).  It was extremely rare for us to have a savegrp hang
prior to that.  We skipped 7.3.x, moving right from 7.2.2 to 7.4.2.  We
were on 7.4.2 for nearly a year without savegrp.  Now we're seeing
savegrps hang on a regular basis.

I have tuned the jobsd using the suggestions in EMC's knowledgebase on
tuning jobsd and it doesn't appear to have changed the frequency of the
hangs.

Tim
edu