Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.5 server with older clients

2009-07-21 19:20:05
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.5 server with older clients
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:11:47 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.5 server with older clients,...:

On 22/07/2009, at 02:18 , Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.5 server with older clients,...:

The only thing you need to be wary of is the security model. NetWorker
7.3 introduced a new security model. So, for clients older than that you
need to make sure that you use the old security model.

Is it possible to set the security model on a client-by-client basis?

When we ran into this issue when going to 7.4.x, EMC seemed to imply that
we must disable the new authentication site-wide, which is what we did.
If we could disable it on a client-by-client basis, that would be better.

That's not the case. You can disable/set the authentication model on a client by client basis. I already have several customers who are doing this for various reasons.

Run up:

nsradmin -s nsrServer -p nsrexec
nsradmin> print type: NSRLA

What you want to change is the "auth methods" option. On any new server it will have a default value of:

"0.0.0.0/0,nsrauth/oldauth"

The auth methods are processed in order, so say you had a client called cerberus that could only use the old security model - you'd change it to:

nsradmin> update auth methods: "cerberus,oldauth","0.0.0.0/0,nsrauth/oldauth"

Thanks Preston.  Since we use FQDN for all our clients I can already see
that we're in for a treat maintaining this and a potential resource length
limitation, but I think we'll want to give this a try anyway.

Tim
edu