Networker

Re: [Networker] Networker 7.5 server with older clients

2009-07-21 16:57:40
Subject: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.5 server with older clients
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 06:50:20 +1000
On 22/07/2009, at 02:18 , Tim Mooney wrote:

In regard to: Re: [Networker] Networker 7.5 server with older clients,...:

The only thing you need to be wary of is the security model. NetWorker 7.3 introduced a new security model. So, for clients older than that you
need to make sure that you use the old security model.

Is it possible to set the security model on a client-by-client basis?

When we ran into this issue when going to 7.4.x, EMC seemed to imply that we must disable the new authentication site-wide, which is what we did. If we could disable it on a client-by-client basis, that would be better.

That's not the case. You can disable/set the authentication model on a client by client basis. I already have several customers who are doing this for various reasons.

Run up:

nsradmin -s nsrServer -p nsrexec
nsradmin> print type: NSRLA

What you want to change is the "auth methods" option. On any new server it will have a default value of:

"0.0.0.0/0,nsrauth/oldauth"

The auth methods are processed in order, so say you had a client called cerberus that could only use the old security model - you'd change it to:

nsradmin> update auth methods: "cerberus,oldauth","0.0.0.0/0,nsrauth/ oldauth"

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com