Networker

[Networker] Application "loses" apparently good index entries for tapes

2009-07-21 00:05:41
Subject: [Networker] Application "loses" apparently good index entries for tapes
From: bdeschanes <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 16:22:30 -0400
When I launch the GUI application for the server hosting my stacker immediately
after restarting the nsr services on the host, it shows good index information
for the tapes, but moments after launching it switches all the tapes to "<not
in media index>". At first I tried re-inexing the tapes, but it seems to act
like they're really still in there. Unfortunately the backups then usually
(90+% of the time) hang and send out a message " NetWorker media: (waiting)
Waiting for 1 writable volumes to backup pool 'Default' tape(s) on ..."

Just to be confusing, once every many tries it successfully starts backing up
jobs, but still displays the "<not in media index" message next to the volumes.
The system is running "NetWorker 7.4.2.Build.431 Network Edition/34" and has
been working fine for many months. This started last week. I've reset the
library, the scsi channel, and the NetWorker services MANY times in various
orders and ways. I'm more or less keeping up with backups, but the required
babysitting and "jiggling" of the library is keeping me from doing anything
else... Any suggestions as to why it's doing this or how to correct it?

I'm not new to backups, but this problem has me stumped. I'll keep digging, and
if I figure it out on my own I'll update accordingly.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!