Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on manually cleaning drive?

2009-07-14 19:29:24
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on manually cleaning drive?
From: Davina Treiber <Davina.Treiber AT PEEVRO.CO DOT UK>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 00:20:18 +0100
George Sinclair wrote:

> I probably should have predicated my post with this answer first. OK, I
> don't like the idea of NW doing the cleaning because I think the drives
> have a better idea of when they need to be cleaned, so seems the over
> cleaning could result.

George, have you upgraded yet? I know you have been hanging back on
7.2.x.  Current versions of NetWorker are much better at organising
cleaning based on the signals received from the drives. This is the best
of both worlds, they get cleaned at the right time and you have
visibility of cleaning tape usage.