Networker

Re: [Networker] Some files missing after successful backup.

2009-06-30 05:58:13
Subject: Re: [Networker] Some files missing after successful backup.
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 19:53:33 +1000
On 30/06/2009, at 19:47 , kurianv wrote:

wow birk u are great...thanks for the knowledge...can u descibe in detail by quoting an example. Because in nsr#res directory i cudnt find groupname.res file.

For example :

I have a group named as XYZ with a server named Oracle. I have a service named as oracleservicetest wheretest is the name of the database. Suppose I want to backup this database by bringing down the service or may be by running a script and use savenpc command to backup. What all should i do ? I mean the detailed procedure for this backup ?

Change the backup command of the client to 'savepnpc' (or 'savepnpc.exe' for Windows).

Either run the group, or run:

savegrp -nv -c clientName groupName

That will trigger the creation of the groupName.res file in the client's nsr/res directory without actually backing anything up.

Then edit the res file to reference scripts in the precmd and pstcmd sections to reference the scripts that you wish to run before and after the backup. Note that NO environment variables are passed to these scripts, so you have to setup _everything_ within the scripts.

After that, I suggest you refer to the command reference guide (or if on Unix, "man savepnpc") for a complete understanding of the savepnpc process.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com