Networker

Re: [Networker] inventory for the tape drive

2009-06-19 17:22:22
Subject: Re: [Networker] inventory for the tape drive
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 2009 07:18:19 +1000
On 19/06/2009, at 22:51 , psoni wrote:

Hi,

I am using NW 7.3.3 with Dell ML600 (four LTO-3 tape drives).

As per tape library, there are no tapes loaded in any of the drives but NMC thinks \\.\ Tape 0 has a tape.

That volume is unlabeled and also lost its location field.

I tried [1] nsrjb -I -S <slot#> [2] nsrjb -u -f \\.\Tape 0 but nothing worked so far.

Error:
nsrd: \\.\Tape0 1:unmounted (already)
06/19/09 07:13:32 nsrlcpd #1: Jukebox error: Jukebox:[email protected] access:[email protected] failed:MOVE MEDIUM key:5 status:CHECK CONDITION UNKNOWN, Medium Source Element Empty

We have setup staging/cloning policies to run during the day and don't want to inventory the entire jukebox.

Is there any way to inventory just \\.\ Tape 0 ?

I haven't tried restarting the services. Will it help ?

I read your other post where you did restart services and that worked for you. However, if you want an option that doesn't require restarting services in future, you can always issue a jukebox reset operation.

There's the standard reset, of, "nsrjb -HE"

But I also find that the alternative reset, "nsrjb -HHEE" seems to work slightly better in (a) wedged situations and (b) situations where NetWorker thinks there is a tape in the drive where there isn't. As per usual, I always suggest tacking on "-vvv" to any jukebox command.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com