Networker

Re: [Networker] nwadmin with Networker 7.4

2009-06-19 15:53:42
Subject: Re: [Networker] nwadmin with Networker 7.4
From: Tim Mooney <Tim.Mooney AT NDSU DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:47:22 -0500
In regard to: Re: [Networker] nwadmin with Networker 7.4, Davina Treiber...:

Of course NMC was not the only major change to come with 7.3. It seemed that there were many major architectural changes (such as new daemons and internal databases) at what was supposedly only a minor version increment. I still don't understand why 7.3 wasn't numbered 8.0, at least that would have warned us all what was in store.

I've been told by an EMC employee that at some point in the past, a
roadmap was published that had certain features as part of 7.5 and 8.0.
Since what became 7.3 didn't have all those features, someone at EMC
didn't want to bump the version number as much as it probably should have
been bumped.  I have no idea if that's true or not, but it's at least
plausible.

I agree about the lack of overlap for conversion from nwadmin to NMC.  My
main gripe with NMC these days is that EMC wrote an "enterprise"
application wherein there's absolutely no support for encrypting either
authentication data or subsequent traffic.  It's 2009 -- who still thinks
it's OK to have no encryption for authentication?!

Tim
edu