Networker

Re: [Networker] Question on null directives?

2009-06-18 15:08:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Question on null directives?
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:03:17 -0400
A Darren Dunham wrote:
On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 03:25:51PM -0400, George Sinclair wrote:
If you have a null directive in place, and you copy the affected path name/data from host A to host B, and you then put that same directive in place for host B, what will happen when NW runs the first initial level full on that new save set?

Will the fact that it doesn't yet have any index entries for that data still allow it to obey the directive?

The networker client doesn't see index entries on the server, so that
will have no effect on how it obeys the directive.

I wasn't clear. By 'it', I meant, the networker server, not the client. Since the server maintains the client indexes, if you have a client side directive, or a server side directive, that uses something like:

<< /data/dir1 >>
+null: ?* *

and this is for NSR client resource A, and then you apply this same directive for NSR client resource B, and you run a backup for /data for the first time on client B, I was curious if it would still obey the directive and not backup up anything under dir1? In the case of client A, we would have done a full with no directive at some point in the past in which case we would have captured all of /data, including dir1, and now we still maintain the client index entries for dir1 whenever we run backups, but we don't back up dir1 since we have the null in place, but we do keep the index entries, unlike 'skip'. But in the case of client B, since the server has never backed up any of this data before, the first time it runs, would it still ignore dir1 even though there are no client index entries to maintain from before?

Not sure I explained myself correctly. Maybe a better way to ask the question is that if you're backing up a save set for the first time, and you have a 'null' directive in place (server or client side) for part of the affected data, then that data will still be ignored on the backups even though the server doesn't have any previous index entries for that data, correct?

The only things it's looking at is the level, the reference timestamp
for non-full backups, the directive, and the filesystem.

So I would expect identical behavior on host A and host B.

--
George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210