Networker

[Networker] Enable Hardware Compression in Solaris

2009-06-17 14:56:32
Subject: [Networker] Enable Hardware Compression in Solaris
From: Tom Birkenbach <tom.birkenbach AT WMICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 14:52:12 -0400
The short question:
How do you enable hardware compression on a tape drive (LTOx) in the Sun
Solaris 8 and 10 operating system?

The setup:
I have LTO1 drives configured in NetWorker as...
/dev/rmt/0ubn
/dev/rmt/1ubn
/dev/rmt/2ubn
etc...

I put some LTO3 drives in and NetWorker sees them as
rd=sn2:/dev/rmt/0cbn
rd=sn2:/dev/rmt/1cbn
etc...
As you can tell, the LTO3 drives are fiber connected via a SAN connected
storage node, but they're in the same library (a StorageTek L700) as my LTO1
drives.  My LTO1 drives are direct SCSI connected to the backup server.

As I understand Solaris, the difference between the ./0cbn and the ./0ubn is
that "c" represents enabling of "standard compression" where "u" represents
enabling of "ultra compression".  I'd like to try and enable ultra
compression, but when I remove the tape drive and do a rescan of the tape
library, it always comes back with the "c" and never gives me a chance to
put in the "u".

Any thoughts on how to reconfigure an existing drive OR bring in the drive
as desired?