Networker

[Networker] networker 7.4.x behavioural change causing media alerts

2009-06-17 10:36:25
Subject: [Networker] networker 7.4.x behavioural change causing media alerts
From: bartoque <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:28:25 -0400
It is our experience that Networker after upgrading from NW7.2 to NW7.4.x
(regardless if it is NW7.4.2 or the newest 7.4.4_build5) causes much more media
alerts (nsrd media alert event: Waiting for x writable volumes to backup pool
'<POOLNAME>' tape(s) on <SYSTEMNAME>) compared to NW7.2 and lower.

The alerts are created through the "tape mount request 3" notification. We
parse this information directly in the notification resource to a script that
uses the unix logger command that then created an escalation to a pager. Worked
like a sharm before.

It would still ok if the media alerts would be really valid, however many
alerts are already gone within minutes after occurring. In stead of just
waiting for an available tapedrive like before (where talking massive drive
sharing here and multiple pools sharing the same drives in some cases) now
drives are competing within Networker for drives more than ever. And the loser
just causes a media alert. These are unnecessary media alerts to my opinion.

For the moment we're going to use a script that counts media alerts and only
issues an alert after the nth media alert. Which is very basic and has no
intelligence whatsoever.

- Anyone know if there are any parameters we can try to change to influence
that NW behaviour for the good? We where playing around with n srmmd control
timeout and save mount timeout with no postitive result yet
- Or anyone have already a more intelligent notifcation script setup that only
escalates when for instance an alert is older than a certain timeframe or when
there are more than 1 waiting for available tapes message