Networker

Re: [Networker] Browse / Retention periods

2009-06-12 11:09:57
Subject: Re: [Networker] Browse / Retention periods
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 11:03:36 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of Mark_B
Sent: Friday, June 12, 2009 10:49 AM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Subject: [Networker] Browse / Retention periods

I have a quick question relating to browse and retention periods.

I have set up 2 clients which will backup Informix databases (level 0)
and i have set a retention / browse policy for these of 1 day.

However, when i look at the details of these save sets, i am noticing
that the retention period is being set to 23:59:59 rather than exactly
24 hours after the backup was taken.  So in effect the retention period
is approx 34 hours not 24.

At the moment these 2 clients are set to run at 14:00 and 14:15 so i was
expecting the browse and retention to be 24 hours on from these times.
What this is in effect doing is doubling up disk space which is at a
premium (i am backing up to 'file' type).

I have tried changing the policy to be 24 hours rather than 1 day, but
it remained the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to where i can look to see why this
is happening?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Mark

-----

Yes - I've kind of been wondering when this one would come up...

Emc made this change in 7.5.1 - I found it in the release notes when I
upgraded recently - I'm not sure why , seems kind of silly/dumb to me!

>From the rel notes 7.5.1 -

Change to save set expiration time
When a save set reaches its scheduled browse or retention policy
deadline (the day
when the save set expires or becomes no longer browsable), the time of
expiration
on that day is 23:59:59 (11:59:59 P.M.). For NetWorker releases 7.2.x
and earlier, the
time of expiration for the save set matches the time of day the save set
was
originally created.

For example, if a save set was backed up on May 1, 2005 at 1:00 P.M. and
the
browse or retention policy is set to 5 years, with NetWorker releases
7.2.x and
earlier, the save set would have expired on May 1, 2010 at 1:00 P.M.
With
NetWorker releases 7.3.x and later, the save set will expire on May 1,
2010 at
11:59:59 P.M.

Cheers,
jamie