Networker

Re: [Networker] Tape Usage Skyrockets!

2009-05-29 14:10:38
Subject: Re: [Networker] Tape Usage Skyrockets!
From: George Sinclair <George.Sinclair AT NOAA DOT GOV>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 13:52:26 -0400
Stan Horwitz wrote:
From: tkutil <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 12:48:50 -0400
To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
Subject: [Networker] Tape Usage Skyrockets!

Just checking the windows event log from last night and these are some of the
errors. Running diags on the tape drive now.

LTO Ultrium-3 tape Daily.0311 used 239 GB of 400 GB capacity
LTO Ultrium-3 tape mks00w51.0605 used 1368 MB of 400 GB capacity

Sometimes this can occur due to network outages or glitches. NetWorker will interpret this signal as EOT and mark it full. I've seen it happen plenty of times over the years. I've also seen cases where it rewinds the tape, checks the label, and if it can't read it, it marks the tape full, e.g. expected volume 'such-and-such' got 'NULL'.

Check to see if the drives need cleaning. Check to see if any SCSI bus errors (if you're using SCSI) are showing up in the attached host's logs.

Not sure how to do this in Windows, but in the Unix world, it's always good to check to ensure that compression is enabled on the drives. Under Unix: 'mt -f /dev/nst# status' or whatever your device is (e.g. nst0, nst1, etc.). Also, '/usr/sbin/tapeinfo -f sg_dev (where sg_dev is the given tape device determined from sg_map command). One time, my tape drives all got set back to no compression. Not sure how. I noticed tapes were all filling up at default capacity (pain). This had been going on for several weeks. Sheesh! Guess your issue is far more egregious but thought I'd mention it.

NetWorker media: (notice) Save set (4213118899)
mks00s01-san:/vol/SharedFolders/Engineering volume mks00w51.0604 on \\.\Tape0
is being terminated because: Media verification failed
NetWorker media: (notice) verification of volume "mks00w51.0604", volid
4280204486 failed, volume is being marked as full.

Check your NetWorker server's log files. Look for I/O errors.

George Sinclair
Voice: (301) 713-3284 x210
- The preceding message is personal and does not reflect any official or unofficial position of the United States Department of Commerce -