Networker

Re: [Networker] Having issues with "ALL" saveset

2009-05-28 19:13:20
Subject: Re: [Networker] Having issues with "ALL" saveset
From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 19:06:40 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: EMC NetWorker discussion [mailto:NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU] On
Behalf Of jasondre
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 4:24 PM
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Subject: [Networker] Having issues with "ALL" saveset

Alright, I've run a couple of tests and it seems that the folder I am
trying to backup is what is causing the problem.  This is what I'm
trying to backup currently.

C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain\scripts

Inside the scripts folder are 9 .vbs files.  These files never show up
when I do the Recover/Directed Recovery when I browse to the scripts
folder.

One of the tests I did was copy the 9 .vbs files and pasted them into a
folder I created on the root of the C:\ drive.  I changed the save set
to point to the folder I just created and ran the backup job.  Low and
behold after it finished I was able to see all 9 files when doing a
Recover/Directed Recovery.

Now, my question is, what is going on?  I'm new to Networker so is there
something obvious that I'm not understanding.  Thanks in advance.

-------

Ok - Now I am assuming this a win 2008 AD controller (this is because
you mentioned the sysvol & scripts, as I'm not a windows guy myself, but
I know these are unique to DC's, at least in 2003 AD)...

Perhaps a windows person out there can clarify on this Re: NW and AD, as
we are still on w2k3 DC's, but I'm now wondering (since I'm not a
"windows guy" myself) if these files under sysvol\ are "special" and
instead are being backed up in one of the of the VSS savesets ..

The manual is not exactly helpful on this to me, but perhaps to you - I
would probably open a case with EMC and check either way, but that's
just me as I'm paranoid ... ;)

- first part of AD backup/recov , pages 699-703 of the NW admin guide
for 7.5.1)

Backing up Active Directory

The NetWorker software automatically backs up AD as a component of the
SYSTEM
STATE or VSS SYSTEM BOOT save set. An AD backup or restore includes the
AD log
files, database, patch files, and expiry token.

Recovering Active Directory

To recover AD, Windows requires that the system state be recovered. Each
backup of
the system state includes an expiry token for the AD backup. During
recovery, the
operating system compares the expiry token to the tombstone lifetime of
the domain.
An AD recovery fails if the expiry token is older than the tombstone
lifetime. (This is
a Microsoft AD restriction. To recover AD data that is past the
tombstone lifetime,
reinstall the operating system on the domain controller before
recovering.)
The tombstone lifetime is a configurable attribute of a Windows domain.
By default,
the tombstone lifetime is 60 days. For more information, refer to the
Microsoft
Windows Server Resource Kit documentation on AD.