Networker

Re: [Networker] Staging a portion of a saveset

2009-05-11 17:49:33
Subject: Re: [Networker] Staging a portion of a saveset
From: Preston de Guise <enterprise.backup AT GMAIL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 May 2009 07:42:28 +1000
On 12/05/2009, at 24:46 , Francis Swasey wrote:

I am dealing with the aftermath of a hardware issue that left me with several clone tapes that were severely underutilized (less than 50 GB used on an LTO-4 cartridge). Sadly, in trying to stage these small fragments to better utilize the media, I am discovering (yet again) that I am also staging large portions of other tapes that were fully utilized and now they are going to be underutilized. I'm almost to the point of scrapping the entire clone run from last week and start over (which of course, I don't have the time to do).

Wouldn't it be really nice if NetWorker provided the capability to stage just the portion of the SSID/CLONEID pair that was on a particular tape volume to a new tape? I think it would be. Does anyone else agree?

While the idea would be nice in theory, I think in practice it would be a nightmare, and open NetWorker administrators (particularly inexperienced ones) up to making some terrible mistakes.

To put a counter-argument, which may sound blunt or uncaring: IMHO if you're worrying about media utilisation on individual tapes, your company isn't providing sufficient budget for you. Obviously we have to on an overall scale be congisant of the amount of media that we use within backup, but I often find that wanting (or needing) to get to that level of granularity comes from budgetary pressure to be miserly.

Cheers,

Preston.

--
Preston de Guise

"Enterprise Systems Backup and Recovery: A Corporate Insurance Policy":

http://www.amazon.com/Enterprise-Systems-Backup-Recovery-Corporate/dp/1420076396

http://www.enterprisesystemsbackup.com

NetWorker blog: http://nsrd.wordpress.com