Networker

Re: [Networker] Parallelism Question

2009-05-04 16:13:39
Subject: Re: [Networker] Parallelism Question
From: Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 23:08:37 +0300
Goslin, Paul wrote:
If you ask EMC, I think they would recommend you increase the server
parallelism to at least 32...

32 is the maximum for Network edition and 64 is the maximum for Power edition. This is a real shame as most contemporary hardware can easily do much more. These values were probably suitable when your server was a Sparc 2. I would really like EMC to double this limit in future versions, as they are already changing licensing for some of Networker's features (virtual servers, clusters etc).

How long does it take to complete this group ? How much total data is
backed up on a typical group run ??
Do you have any restrictions on the tape drives regarding pools ??
You may be better off to post an excerpt of the rendered daemon.log
(with the names changed of course), from when the group starts to when
the group completes, so we can see what sessions overlapped, if any... I
would expect to initially see 4 sessions for each of the 3 drives for 12
concurrent sessions total in the beginning of the group run (you don't
say if there are tapes available to label and write to). But since you
only have a total of 23 save-sets to backup for the whole group... You
are not really coming close to loading the server to any significant
degree IMHO. We have 5 LTO-2 drives which are set to 7 target sessions
each, and it is not uncommon for us to see between 30 to 35 concurrent
sessions running. When our server is loaded like this, it's so busy,
attempting to do a remote-login to it is a waste of time as they almost
always time-out. And response on the NMC GUI is noticeably diminished...

What is your hardware ? Can you tell what is your bottle neck (CPU/DiskIO/memory/network) ?