Networker

Re: [Networker] adv_file, netapp

2009-04-30 10:09:51
Subject: Re: [Networker] adv_file, netapp
From: Francis Swasey <Frank.Swasey AT UVM DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 09:59:45 -0400
On 4/30/09 3:16 AM, Marcel Hirter wrote:
Hello, We are going to buy a netapp 3140, and use it for D2D...2T save with networker. Question: Once we've saved on adv_file on the netapp array, is it possible to stage it to an direct attach (to the netapp) tape lib, with everything traced in media database ?

If networker writes the data to the netapp (on an adv_file device (AFTD)), and the netapp then moves that data to a physical tape in the tape library attached to the netapp -- NetWorker is going to think the data (saveset) is still on the netapp on the AFTD, and if the netapp doesn't transparently bring that data back to that AFTD when networker tries to open it, you're system is broken badly.

I may be mistaken, but this is the same whole VTL's with directly attached tape drives fall into when they move data to a tape library attached directly attached to them without NetWorker knowing it happened. And that way is the dark side and despair.