Networker

Re: [Networker] Windows Server 2008 with 7.4 SP4 - VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\

2009-04-15 12:44:46
Subject: Re: [Networker] Windows Server 2008 with 7.4 SP4 - VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2009 11:39:06 -0500
Hello,
This is not the first time such a confusion has occurred, I remember the
case in which emc gave us 32 bit updates for wrong version of networker,
even after specifically asking for a installed version, since we have
mixed 32 bit and 64 bit server hardware & OS.
The only thing is i don't remember you mentioning that a update was
applied to the client in this case, that would have made the
troubleshooting bit easier.
Thanks

Mark Davis <davism AT UWO DOT CA>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
04/15/2009 09:17 AM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Mark Davis <davism AT UWO DOT CA>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Windows Server 2008 with 7.4 SP4 - VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\

Well, I opened a case with EMC, and was supplied two .dll's per the
LGTsc20343 hotfix. The updated .dll's crashed the client software. After
two weeks of back and forth with EMC, the engineer finally said this
hotfix was for Windows 2003 Server, and would not work with Server 2008.

When I originally opened the case, the first thing I detailed was the
fact that the client was running Windows 2008 Server.

I'll go beat my head against a wall now.

Mark
--
Mark Davis
NetWorker Support - I.T.S

Mike Borkowski wrote:
> We've seen > 200GB "VSS SYSTEM FILESET"'s.  After working with EMC for
> eight months they came out with a 7.4.3 and 7.4.4 fix.  The fix was
> LGTsc20343.  Our saveset's are now under 1GB :-)
>
> ---
> mike
>
> Mark Davis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am just starting to backup Windows Server 2008 systems using
>> Networker 7.4 SP4. The Save set: is "All". When doing incremental
>> backups, even with no activity on the host between backups, I always
>> get a HUGE saveset for the VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\.
>>
>> server.name.ca: VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ level=full, 11 GB 01:10:01  73151
>> files
>>
>> Has anyone else experienced this? Is there a workaround? Getting 11 GB
>> of data on every incremental backup really adds up over time.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Mark

type