Networker

Re: [Networker] Software Distribution Feature in NW 7.4.4

2009-04-09 12:20:23
Subject: Re: [Networker] Software Distribution Feature in NW 7.4.4
From: Andrew Dietz <andrew.dietz AT OIT.GATECH DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 12:16:02 -0400
CORRECTION: Our subnet firewall only filter INBOUND traffic, *not* outbound traffic as I mentioned originally. Sorry for the confusion.

Andrew

Andrew Dietz wrote:
We run NetWorker 7.4.4 on our primary server as well as both our storage nodes and have numerous (500+) configured hosts with clients ranging from version 7.3 to 7.4.4. The server and storage nodes are configured for the following ports:

bash-3.00# nsrports
Service ports: 7937-8200
Connection ports: 0-0

and our clients use the following port range configuration:

[root@harp swd]# nsrports
Service ports: 7937-7945
Connection ports: 0-0

We have Cisco PIX firewalls configured in every subnet filtering only outbound traffic, and they are all set to allow traffic on ports 7937-8200, which causes us no problems whatsoever with all nightly backups of hosts in over 50 subnets.

The console server (running gstd) is installed on the same machine as the primary NW server.

However, while investigating the Software Distribution feature in the server through the NMC, I can't seem to be able to 'Discover the currently installed software products on my NetWorker clients' in the Software Administration Wizard -- clicking 'Next' causes a dialog window that says 'Gathering client choices' to stick around for several minutes, then display the following error:

Failed to get client information.
Unable to connect to server: Remote system error

Thinking that this might be a firewall related issue, I consulted the Administration Guide, where in Appendix B "Firewall Support", I found the following passage:

"If the software distribution feature is being used to remotely distribute NetWorker software and the NetWorker Console server is running on a different host than the NetWorker server, and a firewall is in use between the NetWorker server and the NetWorker Console server, an additional port will be required. This port will be taken from the taken from the range configured for the NetWorker software."

Since the above does not apply to my configuration (the Console server is running on the same machine as the NetWorker server), and that is the only information in that chapter related to Software Distribution, I'm at a loss as to where to look next.

Note that there were no log entries in /nsr/logs/daemon.raw related to this problem.

Can anyone shed some light into this issue?

Andrew

To sign off this list, send email to listserv AT listserv.temple DOT edu and type "signoff networker" in the body of the email. Please write to networker-request AT listserv.temple DOT edu if you have any problems with this list. You can access the archives at http://listserv.temple.edu/archives/networker.html or