Networker

Re: [Networker] Determine total backup footprint?

2009-04-06 17:22:30
Subject: Re: [Networker] Determine total backup footprint?
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:13:56 -0500
> Stan Horwitz
> >
> > Is that process (mminfo) still about my best way to generate the
numbers,
> > or have I overlooked something obvious?
>
> Yes, mminfo is probably your best tool for this task. You can script an
> mminfo command to run every night to summarize your backups in tabular
form
> and add it onto the end of a file. Let it run for at least one month via
> cron job a few minutes after midnight. You can take that file and import
it
> into Excel or some other analysis tool such as SAS and generate some
> numbers.

Actually, now that I think about it, is there any reason to run it on
anything less than our whole non-recyclable file dataset? We have matching
browse/retention policies, neither of which are geologic in timeframe.
That should give me a snapshot view (once I add up everything!) of our
total usage at that point in time, which is really what I need.

Something along the line of :

# mminfo -ot -ar 'client,name,sscomp,pool,totalsize' -q
'ssrecycle=false,pool=non_clone_pool[,pool=non_clone_pool ... ]'

...should be a decent place to start, with whatever other tweaks are
required to boost accuracy and hence my confidence in the numbers.

I think. :-)

Thanks.