Networker

Re: [Networker] encrypted ndmp backups

2009-04-03 12:20:47
Subject: Re: [Networker] encrypted ndmp backups
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 12:14:50 -0400
> From: Alex Alexiou <AAlexiou AT TARGETSITE DOT COM>
> Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:59:52 -0400
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: [Networker] encrypted ndmp backups
>
> Hi,
>
> Is it still true that NDMP backups cannot be encrypted by Networker? If
> so, what alternatives do you guys use? I'm dealing primarily with Linux
> data, and we're running Networker 7.4.4.

I am pretty sure that the aes asm wouldn't work with NDMP. There are other
options. The most secure approach is to encrypt the data on the device you
are backing up. That way, the data encrypted all the time, not just when
backup occur. Another option is to get a device like the ones by Decru that
encrypt streams of data going into tape drives, but that gets very expensive
and you need to have the same hardware at your DR site.

If the data you want to encrypt is stored in SQL, there are options there as
well. For example, Oracle has a feature that will encrypt columns of data. I
imagine other SQL engines do too.

Whatever you do with encryption, be very clear who gets to be in charge of
the encryption key. If you lose the key, you lose the ability to recover
your data.

If you search this list's archives, you will find many postings on this
subject.