Networker

Re: [Networker] Removing Aborted SaveSets from Media

2009-03-31 13:18:12
Subject: Re: [Networker] Removing Aborted SaveSets from Media
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 12:12:39 -0500
Hello,
We do not utilize back-end tape cloning feature for the VTL as earlier in
the design process, it was determined that making networker aware and
utilizing networker capabilities for cloning would give us maximum
flexibility and least problems as well as reduced training as the
operations were already familiar with some networker tasks.
Our tape size is 50 GB and i have looked at the possibility of further
reducing it.
With all the backups taking up the time there really is no additional time
left for staging.
Thanks

A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/31/2009 12:05 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT TAOS DOT COM>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Removing  Aborted SaveSets from Media

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:55:44AM -0500, Fazil Saiyed wrote:
> Hello,
> Thanks Darren, i did confirm that aborted savesets are recyclable, i
> wanted the workaround since, the aborted saveset is becoming an issue, i

> guess, without recycling the entire tape, i will not be able to utilize
> the capacity again ( VTL tapes).
> Thanks for clearing this up.
>  volume        ssid       ssflags client
> VT0126         3268419746 vrEiF  client1
> VT0126         2983214281 vrEiF  cleint1
> VT0126         3335521568 vF      client2
> VT0126         3469739250 vF     client3
> VT0126         3452962034 vF     client4
> VT0126         3436184818 vF    cleint5
> VT0126         3486516466 vF     client6

That's correct.  Obviously a VTL could support "middle of the tape"
writes (which physical tape does not), but then apps would have to
support the differences..

Are you having to maintain 1:1 relationship between virtual and physical
tapes (because your VTL does back-end destaging)?

If not, you might consider making your virtual tapes smaller.  You have
more of them, but less space can be locked up by aborts in this way.

Also, doing a stage/clone of the valid data to another tape might be
worth it.

Good luck!

--
Darren