Networker

Re: [Networker] Licenses for restore

2009-03-27 09:57:53
Subject: Re: [Networker] Licenses for restore
From: Howard Martin <howard.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:53:05 -0400
I think the restore without licence was to stop the opposition from
saying "Networker uses a proprietry metheod to read and write tapes you
would always need a licence as long as you have something you might want
to restore".

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 09:28:45 -0400, Ed Shipe <ed AT EDSHIPE DOT COM> wrote:

>Assuming this is a medium to long term thing, you'd really need at least
a Networker server license and one for the autochanger.

>As someone else posted, Networker will restore without licensing, but it
will require you to manually mount each tape needed via some process
outside of Networker.  That may or may not be feasible for what you are
planning.

>Not sure on the fine print aspects - restore without license would seem
to be intended to be a last-resort DR function, not a realistic production
solution.

>-ed

Behalf Of Valinote, Marcelo F
>Sent: Thursday, March 26, 2009 4:45 PM
>To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
>Subject: [Networker] Licenses for restore
>
>Hi guys,
>
>I need a simple information. I suppose to have the answer but I`m not
sure.
>What kind of permanent licenses I would need to restore data using
NetWorker. I mean there is a Networker Windows server that I want to use
just for restoring data, I don`t intend to do backups using the server. It
will be just to restore.
>The environment is: Networker 7.2 using Windows Server 2003 -
Autochanger (81 slots). I need to restore data to Windows and AIX clients.