Networker

[Networker] NDMP restore results in no data

2009-03-23 19:04:43
Subject: [Networker] NDMP restore results in no data
From: Rachel Polanskis <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT au>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 09:58:22 +1100
Hi,
we have a bit of a problem that has been troubling us for some time.

We had a Celerra that was backing up CIFS shares via NDMP over ethernet.

This system was decommissioned last year and the filesystems broken up etc and
the server replaced.

Since then we do NDMP with Drive Sharing etc and it works much better.

But now the CIFS server that was decommissioned needs to have some data
restored.

We tried all sorts of things, all of them resulting in the recover giving us no
data.

The Indexes are all apparently browsable and the tape media is all present.

But for whatever reason, we can't restore any data, the best we got so far was
an empty directory.

The old system was running Legato 7.2.1 with NDMP.   We are now on 7.4.2.

We have been running commands similar to:

nsrndmp_recover -s nsrserverhost -c our_celerra  -m our_celerra ::/vol1_staff
-S 3087846177 /root_vdm_1/vol1_staff/MiscShares

From the MSW system that has a view into the celerra. The SSID represents a goodly share of the
filesystems we want to restore.

We suspect that the 2007 backup of the Celerra is possibly incomplete or somehow missing some data. But we don't care - we just want whatever we can get back before the end of the month.

So, my question is, given that we have all the bits in place - eg created a clone of the old system with a filesystem/data mover etc, is there a way to explicitly recover all the data off the NDMP volume set and get it onto our recovery system?

Is there a way to override any verifies etc
that may be blocking the restore?

We just want the data back onto a disk somewhere
so it can be manually trolled through.

So far we are getting nowhere with this fast.

rachel

--
Rachel Polanskis                Systems Admin, University of Western Sydney
ADD Werrington North Campus     (+61 2) 9678 7291  <r.polanskis AT uws.edu DOT