Networker

[Networker] Correlation between Linux udev rules and the 'Use Persistent Binding' attribute

2009-03-18 20:38:07
Subject: [Networker] Correlation between Linux udev rules and the 'Use Persistent Binding' attribute
From: Terry Lemons <lemons_terry AT EMC DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 20:31:26 -0400
Q: What is the correlation between Linux udev rules and the NetWorker jukebox
resource 'Use Persistent Binding' attribute? What udev rules have to be
configured?
A: The udev rules that ship with certain Linux distributions automatically
create persistently-named symbolic links in certain locations (each
distribution seems to be slightly different). NetWorker for Linux V7.4 SP2 and
later has been enhanced to look for several of these locations and, if the
jukebox attribute 'Use Persistent Names' is selected, NetWorker will use these
persistently-named symbolic links in its configuration.
NetWorker for Linux V7.4 SP2 and later have this enhancement:
        "New media library attribute and addition to the device configuration
wizard
        A new attribute, Use Persistent Names, has been added to the General
tab of the
        Storage Node resource for NetWorker release 7.4 Service Pack 2. When
this
        attribute is selected, configuration of a tape library (by using
autoconfiguration
        from NMC) on a Linux host attempts to use the symbolic name for media
library
        control ports and devices controlled by udev on Linux. When using the
device
        configuration wizard, you can also select this option during
autoconfiguration of
        devices." [from the EMC® NetWorker Release 7.4 and Service Packs
Release Notes, available at http://powerlink.emc.com at Home
<http://powerlink.emc.com/km/appmanager/km/secureDesktop?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=homePgSecureContentBk>
<http://powerlink.emc.com/km/appmanager/km/secureDesktop?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=--NULL--&internalId=0b01406680024e1b>
<http://powerlink.emc.com/km/appmanager/km/secureDesktop?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=--NULL--&internalId=0b01406680024e23>
<http://powerlink.emc.com/km/appmanager/km/secureDesktop?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=--NULL--&internalId=0b0140668015b2d3>
<http://powerlink.emc.com/km/appmanager/km/secureDesktop?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=--NULL--&internalId=0b0140668015b2df>
  > 7.4 & Service Packs]
So, if you either (1) have a Linux distribution with a 'working' version of
udev or (2) you install a working version of udev, and if you install NetWorker
V7.4 SP2 or later and if you select the 'Use Persistent Names' attribute for
the jukebox before you do Scan for devices in NMC, then NetWorker will use
these automatically-generated-by-udev persistently-named symbolic links.
A key point here is that no udev rules need to be created by the user; the
existing rules that come by default with these distributions provide all of the
necessary machinery.
I confirmed recently that following environments create persistently-named
symbolic links in /dev/tape/by-id and/or /dev/generic/by/id:

SLES 9 SP4
SLES 10 SP2
RHEL 4.7 (*requires adding the line 'options=-g -u' to /etc/scsi_id.conf)
RHEL 5.3

See the following Red Hat document for more information.
http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2008-0740.html
http://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2008-0374.html

Hope this helps.
tl