Networker

[Networker] Window 2008 memory and logs

2009-03-18 13:11:35
Subject: [Networker] Window 2008 memory and logs
From: aka004db <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 09:00:02 -0400
Dear All,

I'm working on getting a Windows 2008 x64 server with a very large file system
to backup with EMC networker. My conclusions so far watching the performance
counters and tools on the server:
- For each saveset a save.exe process starts
- Each save.exe process creates a complete directory listing in memory
regardless of the path to be backed up
- There is default no log locally on the Windows 2008 server.

As this is a server with a very large filesystem, the complete directory
listing for each save.exe process will put several GBs of data into memory,
causing memory paging and performance issues. In the end the backup completely
fails for all savesets other than some system VSS save sets.

I'd like to know:
- How I can enable local logging on the EMC networker client.
- Is it possible not to dump the full filesystem for each drive prior to
backing up data?
- Is it neccesary to put a hughe amount of physical memory in the server for
backup purposes only?

Cheers