Networker

Re: [Networker] more license questions

2009-03-14 07:25:00
Subject: Re: [Networker] more license questions
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 07:17:01 -0400
> From: James Pratt <jpratt AT NORWICH DOT EDU>
> Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:43:18 -0400
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: [Networker] more license questions
>
> Now that this topic is out there, I've realized I have a few questions
> which I cannot seem to find answers for in the manuals -
>
> 1. Can an unused "NT Cluster client/1" license be used as a "normal"
> client lic (assuming I am not using clustering anymore, and it's not
> tied to a system?)

I am not sure, but if you're reasonably current with your NetWorker server
version, its a moot point because at some point in the past year or two, EMC
dropped that client type licensing scheme so any NetWorker server can back
up any type of client (e.g., Linux, Windows, Mac, etc.) without a
client-specific license.

> 2. In Networker "Registrations" - There is a number after each license
> in the list - ie. "Networker Client Connections/5" - (I assume that this
> is 5 licenses in one enabler/LAC)..  Going further, I have one that is
> "ClientPaks for LINUX/38" - does this mean I have 38 linux client lic's
> total?

The number after the client connections does refer to a license that can
back up five individual clients. I don't know what that 38 means.

> 3rd and final question - OTOH, I'm not sure the number is always how
> many client lics - for example, I also have "NetWorker Module for
> Microsoft Exchange Server/11" , but AFAIK, I do not have 11 networker
> exch module licenses, so perhaps the above method of thinking is not
> correct?

Look at the man page for nsrlic. The nsrlic command will tell you how many
of each license you have and how many client connections you have used and
have remaining.

For these sorts of questions, you are definitely better off contacting EMC's
licensing group or, your favorite NetWorker reseller because the answers to
licensing questions sometimes depend on which NetWorker server version you
used and how you licensed the server, itself.