Networker

Re: [Networker] Test environments, etc. (used to be verbose output)

2009-03-12 10:31:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Test environments, etc. (used to be verbose output)
From: Len Philpot <Len.Philpot AT CLECO DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:59:53 -0500
> Teresa Biehler
>
> Do most of you have more extensive test environments?  How do you get
> funding to build them?  What business case do you make?

No. Our test environment is mostly old producton equipment that's been
replaced. There have been a few pieces of hardware actually purchased
*for* test, but that's pretty rare. In terms of clients, it's about 1/10
the size of production. In terms of capacity, it's even smaller. Our test
server is an old, slow (248 mHz) Sun server with internal disks for a disk
backup volume. As you know, the difference in scale can make for ...
interesting ... production upgrades. That probably, at least partially,
accounts for my general intense dislike of upgrades. :-)

I suspect getting funding for a spiffy test environment might be tough,
especially these days, but I too would be interested in hearing good
business case arguments.