Networker

Re: [Networker] Migrate clients to new Networker Server??

2009-03-05 11:51:49
Subject: Re: [Networker] Migrate clients to new Networker Server??
From: Stan Horwitz <stan AT TEMPLE DOT EDU>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 11:48:37 -0500
> From: eljub <networker-forum AT BACKUPCENTRAL DOT COM>
> Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 05:29:34 -0500
> To: <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
> Subject: [Networker] Migrate clients to new Networker Server??
>
> Hello,
>
> We will do the same so I am really interested with this topic.
>
> At this time We have a Dell Poweredge 6600 with a PV136T library.
> The server is running on W2K3 SP2 with Networker 7.4.1
>
> Last week we received a new HP G5 with two MSL6060 libraries.
> The new server is also on W2K3 SP2 but we directly installed Networker 7.4.4
> on it.
>
> We prefer to change the hostname and the IP addresses for the new server.
>
> So I made some tests with the disaster recovery procedure of networker.
>
> I launched the MMRECOV command with the last bootstrap of the old server.
> The command was successfully executed and now on my new server I have got all
> the media, clients, etc.
> But I do not know why the index were not recovered with de MMRECOV command.
> And as you can imagine when I launched the NSCRK -L7 command I received an
> error message "File index error: can't find index backups for ..."
>
> So I understood that the Index file are linked to the server name but is there
> an easy way to migrate from one windows 2k3 server to another.

You need to use nsrck -L7 to read back in the client file index data. This
is explained in the disaster recovery manual. Its entirely up to how your
sight wants to handle it. When I migrated NetWorker servers, we kept the
same IP address and hostname and I did not migrate all the CFI data. I only
migrated the CFI data for clients who's files we were most likely to have to
recover. In our situation, recovering everything would have taken much too
long.