Networker

Re: [Networker] NetWorker host: Solaris vs. Windows vs. Linux

2009-03-04 18:17:09
Subject: Re: [Networker] NetWorker host: Solaris vs. Windows vs. Linux
From: Fazil Saiyed <Fazil.Saiyed AT ANIXTER DOT COM>
To: NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 17:14:44 -0600
Hello,
I think this would be a decision based on expertise at hand, comfort with
OS and your goals.
Very high level, you may get better performance from hardware, throughput
on Linux & solaris, if the hardware cost are not paramount importance.
Windows 2003 has proved to be stable OS in our environment, do not have
much experience with Windows 2008, but you can tune the underline os to
increase performance, if needed you can add SN to share the load, so not
sure how much argument of higher performance of one platform and higher
cost to buy and maintain justify it's use, i would base the decision based
on what your environment and expertise is.
You may still need some scripting skills and some linux\solaris cmd line
skills to get best out of networker cmd line, however, recent versions
have improved GUI and have reduced some of the complexities ( speaking
from windows perspective).
Nothing will replace some training and familiarity with the product.
If you have already developed the procedures, dr and other workaround in
your environment that may come into play, i.e scripts etc.
Is your tape library compatible with windows system ?
Besides that your old tapes and backups should be readable once you move
to windows and you will need licence refresh and or fresh enables.
Either way make sure you can do some testing and you are comfortable with
the final move, you may also consider phased approach over couple of weeks
slowly moving to windows, in this case you will need partitioned library
and additional hardware, but  if you decide to move back it may be easier.
HTH

Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>
Sent by: EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>
03/04/2009 05:00 PM
Please respond to
EMC NetWorker discussion <NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU>; Please respond
Yaron Zabary <yaron AT ARISTO.TAU.AC DOT IL>

NETWORKER AT LISTSERV.TEMPLE DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: NetWorker host: Solaris vs. Windows vs. Linux

Tom Birkenbach wrote:
> Are there performance issues with running the NetWorker server on a
Windows
> server?
> Are there other problems or potential "issues" that others have
experienced
> in running NetWorker services (server, storage node, client) that I
should
> be aware of?
>
> I'm going to be doing an upgrade from NetWorker v7.3.2 on Solaris 8 to
> v7.4.x on new hardware.  I'm thinking of changing the OS to Windows
Server 2008.

> Out of curiosity, what OS platform are people using to host the
NetWorker
> server?
> Windows (and what ver.)?
> Linux (what distribution)?
> Solaris (and ver.)?

   Solaris 10 on a 6 core (1Ghz) T1000 with Networker 7.4.4.

> Your time, effort and input is greatly appreciated.
>
> -Tom B.

-- Yaron.

type